UNIQUE ideas in our Community
Yes, going on a date often requires time and money to plan (including a babysitter for your child/ren.) However, setting aside time to connect (or reconnect) with your partner sans kiddos is worth the investment.
To get your creative juices flowing, here are 50+ unique date ideas in the Madison area:
Indoor Date Ideas
- Attend Adult Swim at the Madison Children’s Museum and play like kids, without the kids!
- See if you can escape an Escape Room together! (There are at least 3 in Madison.)
- Go to Wine Bingo, Paint or Craft Night at Fisher King Winery. They often have live music too!
- Check out Cocktails in the Conservatory at Olbrich Botanical Gardens
- Take a Food & Wine Class or attend Dinner Theater at Lewis Station Winery. It’s just a quick trip to nearby Lake Mills!
- Compete in arcade games or Dance Dance Revolution at Dave & Buster’s!
- Climb together at Boulders Climbing Gym. They just opened a new location downtown!
- Go Bowling together at one of the 10+ lanes in the Madison area
- Take in a show at the Overture Center
- Have dinner at Cento and then go listen to the soothing sounds of the Madison Symphony Orchestra
- Take a couples cooking class at Sur La Table
- Attend a UW Badgers Basketball, Hockey or Volleyball game at the Kohl Center
- Check out some live music at one of the many venues in Madison, like the new Sylvee, The Majestic, High Noon Saloon, The Barrymore, The Stoughton Opera House, etc.
- Taste some wine at a local winery (Wollersheim Winery and Drumlin Ridge are not far from Madison)
- Drive to Fort Atkinson for dinner and a show at The Fireside Theater
- Head to the Wisconsin Brewing Company for a tour and tasting. Or put on your best 80’s outfit and rock out together at their FREE 80’s Night in the Brewery!
- Laugh it up at the Comedy Club on State Street
- Stroll the many exhibits and art galleries on the Madison Museum of Contemporary Art’s Gallery Night (Spring or Fall)
- Tour New Glarus Brewing Company in New Glarus or Tyranena in Lake Mills
- Visit the tasting rooms of Old Sugar Distillery, Yahara Bay or State Line Distillery
- Order some drinks and whip out the board games at The Weary Traveler or head to I’m Board for a game night out
- Get creative together at a workshop offered through Signs by Caitlin; Board & Brush; or Paint Nite
- Stargaze at the Planetarium at Memorial High School
- Stay overnight at a Bed & Breakfast in Madison or the surrounding area, or book a room at the Madison Concourse Hotel (PRO TIP: Choose one of the top three floors so you have access to the Governor’s Club!)
- Have your husband plan a date night and just go along knowing nothing! Or vice versa, you plan everything, and tell the sitter to deliberately keep him in the dark (it doesn’t seem like this would add to the excitement, but it really does!)
- Try a Date Night In Box when you can’t get a sitter. They’ll send you a unique date in a box, complete with playlists and dinner ideas, that you can do at home!
Outdoor Date Ideas
- Attend an adults-only Cave After Dark event at Cave of the Mounds. It’s such a short distance to Blue Mounds and you get to sample food and drinks in the cave!
- Grab a blanket (and a bottle of wine) and head to Concerts on the Square on the Capital lawn! (June/July)
- Enjoy an evening concert together, or attend Crackle, Fire and Froth at Olbrich Botanical Gardens
- Listen to free live music at The Sessions at McPike Park
- Check out the Live on King Street line-up and rock-out together on the Capital Square
- Grab a pitcher of beer and take in the view of the lake at the Olbrich Park Biergarten
- Pull up some Adirondack chairs and sip a tropical drink at the Tiki Bar at The East Side Club on Lake Monona
- Attend one of the many east side festivals offered over the summer, like the Marquette Waterfront Festival, Fete de Marquette, Atwood Fest, Orton Park Festival or the Willy St. Fair
- Stroll the Dane County Farmer’s Market or new Madison Night Market together
- Grab a beer and a brat and hang out at Memorial Union Terrace. Their Terrace After Dark series (May/Sept) features free live music and movies every weekend!
- Roast some s’mores and play a game by the fire pit at Camp Tripalindee on the rooftop of the Graduate Hotel
- Get your mini-golf on, or hit-up the batting cages at Vitense Golfland
- Purchase a daily or annual permit and go disc-golfing together at a Madison or Dane County course
- Rent a bike through Madison B-Cycle and peddle the many bike paths of our beautiful city together
- Take in the Dane County Fair at night with all of the twinkling lights… riding the Ferris Wheel, playing a few carnival games, eating cotton candy or funnel cakes, etc.
- Watch a movie outdoors with Movies with Madison Parks or Food Cart Cinema
- Head to the Highway 18 Drive-In movie theater and take in a double-feature
- Take a cruise on Lake Mendota or Lake Monona aboard a Betty Lou Cruise
- Rent a canoe, kayak, or stand-up paddle board through Madison Boats
- Pack a picnic and head to American Players Theater in Spring Green for an outdoor show
- Picnic at the beach – or better yet, hit the newly renovated aquatic park at Troll Beach together!
- Reserve a fire circle, build a campfire & roast some s’mores at Picnic Point
- Take a candlelit snowshoe hike or go ice skating at The Edgewater or through Madison Parks
- Go hiking at one of the many state or county parks in the area
- Attend an athletic event | Madison Mallards, Milwaukee Brewers, Green Bay Packers, UW Badgers Football, etc.
Sound good, but need a sitter?
My husband and I are not lucky enough to have our parents here in town, but we have found a babysitter we trust and can call when we need to (HINT: Former daycare providers are a great place to start!).
Be sure to also check out: Keeping Date Night Fresh for more inspiration!
Happy date night!