Growing up in Green Bay, my mom and I used to head up to Door County a lot when I was a kid. I always enjoyed going, but it wasn’t until I was an adult that I really started to appreciate it for what it is. Five years ago, my husband finished the design work for the new marina in Egg Harbor and was up there a lot for work. Ever since then, my dad, at Christmas, has generously gifted us with a gift certificate to a new bed and breakfast. We’ve been doing a few nights away every summer for the past few years, kid free. We also took a trip up there with my husband’s side of the family, kids included! It’s a great getaway for everyone… couples, friends and families. It’s one of our favorite places and something we look forward to every summer. We are headed up there in three weeks and I can’t wait!
If waterfront, a beautiful state park, quaint towns, wineries, live music and amazing food interest you, you have got to check out Door County! It’s about a three to four hour drive from Madison and worth every minute! I’m definitely not a Door County expert, but I wanted to share with you all some of my favorites.
When we go up there, we usually stay at a bed and breakfast. We stayed at one for the first time on our honeymoon and haven’t stopped. We love the feel and the coziness of bed and breakfasts (and the awesome breakfasts of course). When we went up there with my husband’s family, we stayed at a bigger place where the rooms had kitchens, a pool and a playground for the kids. Another option is to camp. Peninsula State Park is an awesome option for families that like to camp. I know it fills up pretty fast though, so you’d have to check that pretty far in advance!
Here are a few places that we have stayed:
Blacksmith Inn – It is on the other side of Door County in Bailey’s Harbor, but the accommodations were great, breakfast was good, and they offered free bikes, paddle boards, and kayaks (major plus). It is only a 15 – 20 minute drive to the other towns, and is nice if you are looking for quiet.
Whistling Swan– We loved the convenience and location. It’s right in Fish Creek and everything we wanted to do was within walking distance. They had good (light) breakfasts, clean rooms, and very friendly staff.
Pheasant Park Resort – This is where we stayed with my husband’s family. We had kitchens in the rooms. There was access to a pool and a playground. It was perfect for a family getaway.
There are SO many awesome options. I’m actually gluten- free, and it’s been very easy for me to find great food that I can eat as well. My list is definitely not all-inclusive, but it’s the ones that we have tried and really enjoyed.
The Bistro – burgers, pizza, salads (Egg Harbor)
Wild Tomato – awesome pizza, GF options (Fish Creek)
White Gull Inn – good breakfast, nice variety, fish boil (Fish Creek)
The Cookery – awesome breakfasts, great GF options, outdoor seating (Fish Creek)
Wilsons– ice cream! It’s a must. (Ephraim)
Chop – steak house (Sister Bay)
Grasse’s Grill – nice variety, fish, pasta, burgers (Sister Bay)
Al Johnson’s – goats on the roof.. enough said (Sister Bay)
- Biking- my husband and I have both rented bikes and have brought our own. We usually ride through Peninsula State Park. The views are awesome and there are a lot of nice trails. One of the bed and breakfasts had bikes for us to use, so we’ve also used them to get around town.
- Head to the beach – all of the small towns have a beach and waterfront with a variety of activities. Sister Bay and Egg Harbor, in particular, have really nice beaches.
- Tour a winery- there are a lot of awesome wineries in Door County. Check out a list here.
- Go to an outdoor movie- Northern Sky Theater in Ephraim shows movies on a weekly basis.
- Golf – there are a lot of great options in most of the towns for golfing.
- Visit Washington Island- head to the tip of the peninsula, hop on a ferry and you can get a tour or rent bikes to see the island.
- Shop – every town has a number of small shops. I personally enjoy the shops in Fish Creek.
- Fish boil – a lot of restaurants offer a fish boil and it’s a cool experience if you’ve never done it.
- Boat cruise – when we were up there with our family, everyone took a boat cruise out of Sister Bay.
- Catch a sunset over the lake!
- RELAX- we love to read, catch up on shows, go for walks, and just enjoy being up there.
Well, that’s all from me! Have I convinced you to check it out yet? Or were you already a Door County lover like me? This post isn’t meant to endorse or promote any one place or activity, it’s just a way for me to share some of the things that I love when I’m up there. I’d love to hear from anyone else. As I mentioned before, we are headed up there in a few weeks, and we are always looking to try something new!