(Madison, WI): This summer is bringing a beloved tradition back to the Memorial Union Terrace but with an exciting new addition. The Wisconsin Union Directorate (WUD) Film Committee’s 2023 Lakeside Cinema series will bring free outdoor movies of many genres to the Terrace each Monday, with a select group of Sunday titles to be announced just before each screening to make for some summer surprises.
May 29-Sept. 4, patrons can enjoy free Lakeside Cinema films every Monday evening at 9 p.m. on the UW Credit Union Terrace Stage.
The scheduled dates, titles and film ratings are as follows:
- May 29: “Good Burger,” PG
- June 5: “Booksmart,” R
- June 12: “But I’m a Cheerleader,” R
- June 19: “Black Panther,” PG-13
- June 26: “Men in Black,” PG-13
- July 3: “High School Musical 2,” G
- July 10: “Grown Ups,” PG-13
- July 17: “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off,” PG-13
- July 24: “The Big Lebowski,” R
- July 31: “The Princess and the Frog,” G
- Aug. 7: “Cars,” G
- Aug. 14: “Scott Pilgrim vs. the World,” PG-13
- Aug. 21: “Diary of a Wimpy Kid,” PG
- Aug. 28: “Muppet Treasure Island,” G
- Sept. 4: “Pitch Perfect 2,” PG-13
The Sunday series, titled Secret Sunday Scaries, features an array of spooky-themed films whose titles will be hinted at and then announced on the WUD Film Committee’s Instagram and Facebook accounts on the Thursday afternoons before each screening. Each screening begins at 9 p.m.
Secret Sunday Scaries dates and film ratings are as follows:
Seating during live music and film showings is available on a first come, first served basis. In the case of inclement weather, the Union team will aim to move the performance or film showing into der Rathskeller inside Memorial Union.