We love exploring Wisconsin’s State Parks — and it’s clear that y’all do, too… because one of our top posts in 2020 was ‘Roundup of Wisconsin State Parks | Plan Your Next Adventure’! And in 2021, the Wisconsin state park system, (WSPS), has put together a special challenge (similar to a scavenger hunt) – complete with activities.
The Friends of Wisconsin State Parks has put together a list of more than 20 challenges for people to complete in the WSPS. The challenges feature state parks, recreation areas, trails, waterways and forests. Including everything from hiking every trail in one park to cleaning up litter in two parks to taking a selfie from the top of six scenic overlooks.
Participants will receive a digital certificate for each challenge and will be entered in a drawing to win prizes. The challenge begins March 20, and will go through September 22.
Starting end of February, you can visit Wisconsin Friends Explore and download a free logbook where you can document your completed challenges. Participants are then encouraged to share their completed challenges using the hashtag #wfechallenge.
The challenges are:
- Hike 50 miles on WSPS properties
- Hike every trail on one WSPS property
- Camp six nights total on a WSPS property
- Camp overnight while backpacking at least once
- Fish at three different WSPS properties
- Paddle five different bodies of water on WSPS properties
- Visit and photograph five different waterfalls on WSPS properties
- Build and photograph sand sculptures on five different WSPS beaches
- Bike 50 miles on state trails or WSPS properties
- Take a selfie from the top of 10 scenic overlooks
- Take 10 photos of historic buildings, which includes lighthouses, located on WSPS properties
- Photograph examples or evidence of indigenous peoples on 10 WSPS properties
- Visit a WSPS property in each of the six districts
- Visit the same WSPS property once a month March through September
- Join a Friend’s group
- Clean up litter for 2-3 hours at two or more WSPS properties
- Pick garlic-mustard for 2-3 hours at a WSPS property
- Identify and list 25 plants seen on WSPS properties; take photos of at least three
- Identify and list 25 different birds seen on WSPS properties; take photos of at least three
- Identify and list 25 insects seen on WSPS properties; take photos of at least three
- Find 15 geocaches on WSPS properties
- Cross-country ski 50 miles at a minimum of two properties
State Park Entry
You must have an admission sticker to enter State Parks – they can be purchased for: $28/year or $8/day. Annual stickers can be purchased online or at the parks.
**Some WSPS properties and facilities are closed – you will want to check the DNR website for up-to-date info before you head out!