In honor of Valentines Day let’s talk about love, true love. (Princess Bride, anyone?)
My husband and I were married very young. I was 18 and he was 21, to be exact. It’s true. We loved each other and figured, why not? Or something like that. So here we are, 3 kids, a cat, a minivan (a minivan!!!), and nearly 18 years later and we are still married. In fact not only are we still married but we are still very much in love, and very happy.
But how? How have we managed to survive “growing up” together, graduating college and graduate school together, moving (way) too many times, numerous job changes, raising three spunky daughters, and still be happy and in love?
Here are 11 ways (because 10 is way too boring!)we have managed to “keep the love alive”:
1. We laugh together, a lot. We love to be goofy, sarcastic and have a good time together. Sometimes life and relationships are much more fun when you aren’t too serious.
2. We like being together and have a lot of fun together. We try to spend as much time as possible together (usually as a family). This includes eating at least one meal together at our table everyday as a family.
3. We listen to each other. We work really hard on communicating with each other and trying to not just hold issues inside. Instead we both work on building our courage to share how we are truly feeling about something (this is hard to do!).
4. We apologize and ask for forgiveness. (this is also very hard to do!)
5. We try to let go of things that don’t really matter. He thinks I have too many boots, and I think he is way too picky about running shoes. By the way, I can NEVER have too many boots. Ever.
6. We have committed to be with each other. We made a commitment to each other and we put in the hard work necessary to keep that commitment.
7. We are best friends. Cheesy? Maybe. True? Yep. We have lots of other dear friends, but no one knows more about us that we know about each other.
8. We value honesty and trust each other. We are truthful with each other and open which also opens an avenue to trust each other as well.
9. We try to encourage each others hobbies and interests even when one of us thinks the other persons interest is crazy, boring, or even silly.
10. We try to make each other a priority. Nothing in our relationship is more important than the other person.
11. We try make time for physical affection: hugs, kisses, and…so on… 🙂
How about you? What are some ways that you lovebirds have kept a happy nest?