It’s that time again…BACK TO SCHOOL. Whether you’re jumping for joy or trying to squeeze in a few more summer days it means time to start thinking about new shoes, backpacks and packing lunches for your children in school. I have about 2 1/2 years of packing lunches under my belt, my oldest daughter started preschool in 2010. For me it’s something I love to do (and even more so) now that my daughter thinks of ideas and helps me pack her lunches. Yet there are still times I stare at her lunchbox blankly wondering what I can pack in it that is fun, healthy and I know she will eat?! Usually on those days I just take a glance HERE and am usually inspired (reminded). People often think it takes a long time to pack lunch but truthfully it takes me 10 minutes for most lunches. Here are some of my favorite tips to help ensure packing lunches for (with) your kids goes smoothly and that they will love them.
1. Pack lunch the night before…trust me on this one, no matter how late, it will be better than scrambling in the morning (there are just never enough minutes in the morning).
2. Start with your child’s favorite food and think of a new way to re-make it (my daughter loves kiwi so I turned them into kiwi lollypops which she loved and still hasn’t stopped talking about).
3. Use a lunchbox with compartments (bento style for example). This makes things so simple, put a food item in each section = done.
4. DIP!!! Kid’s love to dip things wether it’s pretzels or raw veggies. Some great dips options are Greek yogurt, nut or seed butters, vinaigrettes, hummus.
5. Have fun. Be creative and leave notes sometimes.
If you would like more tips, recipes and ideas about packing healthy, fun lunches I will be teaching a class designed for kids ages 5-12 (and their parents) called Pack the Fun in Lunch at Whole Foods Market in Madison this Sunday (August 25th). Kids bring their lunchbox and we will be making recipes and packing a lunch for the next day. Two lucky attendees will win a bento style lunchbox (all attendees will be entered to win)! Click HERE for more class information or call 608-233-9566 to register. To see more of my daughter’s lunches checkout my blog , follow me on instagram and twitter.
Here are two of my favorite recipes to pack, Best wishes on a fun back to school!