Swimsuit season is upon us! And it doesn’t need to be another tortured experience where we cut ourselves down as women. The key to rocking a swimsuit, like any personal style, is to embrace ALL your parts, and flaunt them accordingly. There’s no reason to acquiesce to a “mom style” imposed on us by society – to pretend we don’t care about how we look in a swimsuit or to tell ourselves we can’t pull off a current trend. In fact, today’s styles speak more to moms than ever!
I’ve put together this swim guide to inspire you to try something outside your comfort zone – ie, lose the tankini. With all the slimming one pieces and high-waisted two pieces, we mamas no longer need to feel stuck in one boring style. It’s easy to toss on a teeny bikini when you have the “perfect” body – but this is your opportunity to find your own swim style, and head to the beach or pool in confidence, while oozing unapologetic sexiness. We can rock a classy, sexy summer look better than anyone. It’s time to take summer back, mamas – the world needs to see us shine!
Here are 10 swimsuits perfect for anyone – which one’s for you?
1) The Ballet Suit: This classic one piece is for anyone who wants to show off her legs, back, and shoulders, but keep her tummy covered. It’s simple, sleek design is super comfy and the solid color creates a long, slimming look. This is motherhood meets Baywatch, and it looks great with cutoffs (legs!) or a kimono style cover-up.
2) Sporty Two-Piece: For anyone with a long torso and straight shape, the sports bra top is great for being active, like chasing or swimming with kids. The cheeky hipster bottom highlights and brings curves your bum – yummy and fun. I love the classic stripes so you notice the cut instead of a distracting print.
3) Bandeau One Piece: You cannot go wrong with this always-in-style strapless one piece suit! It covers everything except a sexy cleavage and shoulders. The sweet color and eyelet detail keeps it super flirty and feminine. I’d wear it with a beachy sun hat and skirt.
4) One Shoulder Two Piece: How fun is this suit! A supportive sports top allows you to move while the oversized ruffle on one shoulder gives it a stylish sexy look. It also draws attention to the shoulder therefore slimming your arm. The high-waisted bottom is perfect for moms who want to hide a less-than-toned tummy, while still showing off the skin below your rib cage – no stretch marks here! I love the white rickrack trim against the dark navy which makes the whole style pop.
5) One Piece with Cap Sleeves: Are you a trend-setter? It’s a bit of an investment, but worth it for this high-quality, super sexy suit! The Free People one piece looks more like a leotard than swimwear, but you’ll be sure to get oodles of compliments on the unique and trendy cut. The fun print and sleeves are sure to get attention for all the right reasons. There’s plenty of coverage in this style so all you’re showing off is YOU. Some denim or white shorts take it immediately from the pool to a restaurant, making it a swimsuit and a top in one.
6) Bold Ruffled Two Piece: Another high-waisted gem – perfect if you’re small on top and curvier on the bottom. This ruched bottom will suck everything in and hide any unwanted bulges. You still get the femininity of a teeny bikini top in the bright yellow triangle style. Strings and ruffles, oh my!
7) Color Block One Piece with Tie: This one piece gives the appearance of a two piece! Criss-cross detail and a plunging neckline draws attention to your décolletage (ooh la la). The high cut bright orange bottom and bow tie slims your waist while holding everything in. For the price, this is a classy, sexy must-have, and you’ll look like you spent a lot more!
8) Solid Black Bikini: The little black dress of swimsuits! This solid black bikini set has just enough added detail to make it feminine and on trend. I love the crossing fabric on the bottoms and the ruffles at the trim. A padded bandeau style top with straps works well for an active mama. Get out there and rock this updated version of a classic style, no matter your body type!
9) Cut Out One Piece: Don’t fear the cut outs! These are not the obnoxious cut-outs that squish all our skin in odd places and make everything worse. The chic pattern on this one piece makes you tropical paradise ready, and the subtle, cut out detail shows off just the right amount of skin, in exactly the right spot. How tempting…
10) Feminine Two Piece: For you ladies who love to show off your curves – this high-waisted two piece highlights voluptuous and bold femininity. The ruched top with crossing back straps is super sexy and supportive. The ruching carries through in the bottoms and the black strap detail on the hips slims while adding an edginess to the floral print.
Ready to give one of these styles a try? We do not need to remain separate from our bodies. We do not need to lash out at them, criticize, or wish they were different – because that’s the same as wishing WE were different. Our bodies create life and give us movement and joy. Our bodies serve us every single day.
Loving our bodies is a continued practice, especially in a society where there is an ideal image splashed all over media and magazines. But we don’t need to look at our bodies (at ourselves) as one more thing to attain, one more area we are lacking. We can compassionately live inside the body we have by discovering styles that work for us, and not hiding it.
This summer, more than ever, fashion is on our side! See you in the sunshine, Mama.
What a wonderful post! That is so chock full of useful information I can not
wait to dig deep and get started using the resources you have given me.
Your exuberance is refreshing.